Saturday, April 23, 2005

The Call

Robert called me late Thursday evening. We talked for two and a half hours on a variety of subjects. During his call, Paul called and I didn't bother to click over. After all, I knew why he was calling and didn't want to get together that night. He didn't know that I had strep.

As for Robert, I was quite surprised to hear from him. While we parted on friendly terms, I never really believe a guy when he says that he wants to keep in touch. Perhaps because as much as I say I'd like to, I never do.

We discussed a variety of subjects, including war, education, history, parenting and personal accountability. He told me of some of his experiences in Iraq, but, nothing that was too intense. I've noticed that he has a habit of trying to shield people from that experience. I did find out that he'd nearly been killed over there and some of what went through his mind in those moments.

I don't know what is going on with him. I really like him, but, I'm not certain if this is another of those siuations that I seem to be receptive too. It's not been uncommon for me to be a true confidante to a couple of young men. I would typically get involved with them romantically, probably too soon and then a friendship would ensue after the sex had stopped. This isn't a bad thing, but after about the second or third time, it gets to be annoying. :) I am wondering if this is not perhaps what the fate of my relationship with Robert will be. Either way, I find it quite fascinating to get to know him better and will value his friendship.

On the other hand, I wouldn't be opposed to much more with him. He makes me laugh and smile. He's got such a strong set of morals and an old fashioned sense of duty to his family that is quite admirable.

How I wish I could figure this out.

No comments: