Sunday, August 20, 2006

The Trouble with Friends...

My bestfriend is pissed at me for talking on the phone with a man from her past. She reunited with him recently after they lost touch for a few years. I think that he could be considered her "first love," and I can understand her being pissed.

I think that if I were to find that someone close to me were talking on the phone with someone that I was interested in whether it was now or in the past, I'd be furious too. The thing that bothers me about the situation is that I feel as if I dropped the ball and so does she.

I don't know if he took the phone from her or if it was handed to him, but, I said no. I did not want to talk with him, I had been speaking with her. I expected that he would give her the phone at any minute, but, it didn't happen.

I assumed that she was in the same room with him, so as the conversation lengthened, I assumed that we had her blessing. The conversation had gone on for quite some time before he mentioned that she had fallen asleep.

I was tired myself and had drifted off a few times, so, I should have said at that time that I was going to have to let him go. I did not do that and that's where the problem begins. I remember thinking that I'd need to get off the phone, but, I honestly couldn't get a word in edge-wise. That doesn't excuse it, but, that's what happened.

I should have reacted differently and I didn't. I really cannot say why other than that I was tired and he was talking so fast and I thought that I would chime in once the conversation lapsed.

I should not have been put on the phone with him, that's true enough. She knows that I dislike that immensely, but, at the same time, I should have requested that the conversation end a lot sooner than it did.

The only thing that I could come up with was that I was tired. A good portion of the conversation was spent listening to him go on about various topics that were of interest like financing his business and managing his business. There was discussion of education and financing that, raising his child and supporting his sister. These were all things that she had shared with me, but, now the details of how he managed to do it came to light.

I am in a situation where I am unhappy with what I've got and I am honestly interested in trying to find solutions to changing my circumstances. It is of interest to me to figure out how to finance starting a business, completing my education, trying to do a better job at raising my son. These are things that I am hungry for practical advice about.

I talked with him about topics such as these because they are important and it sounded like he might be able to offer some insight that I had never taken into consideration.

If I had it to do again, I would have refused to engage in the conversation. I did not end it on the note feeling that I wanted to meet him or anything like that.

I am shocked and afraid that my longtime friend believes that I do though. I can understand her being furious, but, she should also realize that I would never have the slightest interest in someone that she was with or had been with.

No comments: