Wednesday, October 04, 2006

Cheating

The Saturday prior to my trip to New Orleans, I received an online note from a relatively cute young man. We exchanged several notes and finally I inquired about how he was able to manage as he seemed to be a single father who had an unusually active role in the lives of his children. I asked a leading question about whether or not he had relatives nearby and he admitted that he did and that he lived with the mother of one of his children. He went on to say that they were "technically" a couple (his word) and that they were having problems.

I immediately offered my condolences and some advice on how to help patch things up. Every convo that we have had thereafter (all communication has been online and through these notes) has been about ways to make her feel happier with him so that they get back on track. We haven't gone into any details but I suggested that he buy out some time for just the two of them, recommended a sweet song to have her listen to, etc.

Tonight he finally admitted that the problem is that he wants more sex and she does not seem to want it. I offered some advice there and he said that the stuff sounded positive but time consuming and that he has been thinking of getting a "friend on the side" (again---HIS words) who will accomodate his needs without a problem.

I wrote back and told him that he should not do it because he is better than that and that if he wants to sleep with someone else, he needs to break things off. They do have a child, after all, he doesn' t want to create additional causes of friction in his dealings with the mother of his child.

It only stands to reason that he has been thinking of this from the very start which is why he initially contacted me as if he were someone who might be available.

The whole thing got me thinking about why men cheat.

I know that there is no blanket response for the question, but, according to AskMen.com,
there are ten major reasons that men cheat.

Some of them are absolutely disgusting such as: women let them, the opportunity was there, they are not attracted to her anymore.....*sigh*

If this is the state of the dating scene, it's terrifying. Do we as a people value each other so much that we are willing to discard a relationship for a temporary rush?

It is all very disappointing.

No comments: